Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Apologies if my question has been covered elsewhere on this forum. I am considering a move from OEM wheels to 22” wheels and just wanted to know if going with a larger wheel would have an impact on speed and handling. I currently have the stock 20” rims outfitted with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ tires. I see that many TH owners have moved up to 22” wheels and I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t adversely effect zeros - 60 and that there are good high-performance tires to fit the larger rims. Any feedback would be appreciated….

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey guys,

Apologies if my question has been covered elsewhere on this forum. I am considering a move from OEM wheels to 22” wheels and just wanted to know if going with a larger wheel would have an impact on speed and handling. I currently have the stock 20” rims outfitted with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ tires. I see that many TH owners have moved up to 22” wheels and I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t adversely effect zeros - 60 and that there are good high-performance tires to fit the larger rims. Any feedback would be appreciated….
no issues here with running 22". Wheel weight will increase unless you go with a similar light weight wheel like the stock's. Other than that no rubbing here and loving the bigger wheel in the wheel well. No issues with grip and 0-60 times either. There are not many tires to select from when you upgrade - your new tire size is 305/35/22, this diameter will not effect the speedometer or require any calibration.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just made the switch from stock wheels/tires to a lightweight 22x10.5 and noticed a positive difference with traction and handling. More rubber on the ground, less rotational weight, and no run flats (which felt like bricks) has been a welcome positive. I don't know if I'd ever purposely go back to the stock setup. I went with Michelins for rubber (same size as scottiekay) and although they were nearly more expensive than the wheels (wheels were discounted), absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why would u want LESS traction and the same weight as stocks? There are no good tires available in 22 inch rims. None! 22's dont belong on Trackhawks. Its ghetto! Stick with 20's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why would u want LESS traction and the same weight as stocks? There are no good tires available in 22 inch rims. None! 22's dont belong on Trackhawks. Its ghetto! Stick with 20's.
Ghetto? I have 22's and not only do I get complements all of the time, I love them - helps fill the wheel well and looks great. Like Lil Hemi said, different strokes for different folks, that's what makes this world go 'round. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean should should bash those of us that do.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally prefer 20’s. Not for cosmetics but for ride comfort. With that said I do plan on getting aftermarket 20x10.5 for a wider ground point. Also debating on lowering with Eibachs at the same time to fill in the wheel well as others have noted.

I do like the 22’s visually but want that comfort for the ride and the occasional random pothole.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally prefer 20’s. Not for cosmetics but for ride comfort. With that said I do plan on getting aftermarket 20x10.5 for a wider ground point. Also debating on lowering with Eibachs at the same time to fill in the wheel well as others have noted.

I do like the 22’s visually but want that comfort for the ride and the occasional random pothole.

B

Another consideration for ride quality is type of tire. My 20 hawk came with run flat tires from the factory and those were like bricks. I went to 22's (personal preference) and a softer compound tire and the ride is more comfortable than stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another consideration for ride quality is type of tire. My 20 hawk came with run flat tires from the factory and those were like bricks. I went to 22's (personal preference) and a softer compound tire and the ride is more comfortable than stock.
I do agree that the run flats on my 21 TH are less than desirable. Just waiting for their life to run out before replacing with new 20x10.5 wheels and non run flat tires.

B

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
I do agree that the run flats on my 21 TH are less than desirable. Just waiting for their life to run out before replacing with new 20x10.5 wheels and non run flat tires.

B

You shouldn’t have to wait too long, I got 14k out of mine but most replace around 10k.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ghetto? I have 22's and not only do I get complements all of the time, I love them - helps fill the wheel well and looks great. Like Lil Hemi said, different strokes for different folks, that's what makes this world go 'round. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean should should bash those of us that do.
Hahah, I've never wanted 22" wheels until I looked at yours. Those things look sweet! It really is all about choosing the right wheel but that goes for buying new 20"'s as well. I Actually wish 21" tires were more common. Niche makes a set of wheels for the SRT that I absolutely loved. Just don't love how difficult it is to find a tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You shouldn’t have to wait too long, I got 14k out of mine but most replace around 10k.
This is sad but true. I believe I'll get 20-30K out of mine but that is because I knew exactly what needed to be done with the alignment when I purchase it. I currently have just over 12K and they look perfect. I'm also very good with rotating every 5k. I hate the run flat tire and look forward to dumping them. I just don't want to throw out $2k in tires sooner then I need to.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
90 Posts
The 22’s look awesome, i’ve seen a lot of pics with TH on 22’s. Be.jammin mentioned earlier, i prefer the larger sidewall for comfort and helps for going up/down kerbs, potholes and so on.
The Pirelli P-zero Run flats are probably the worst stock tire I have used, but they do grip extremely well pushing through mountain roads.
I have recently switched to Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 SUV 114Y. When cold they like to slip a little, but are very controllable. Once they are warm I haven’t noticed any time differences. They look just as good as the p-zero’s but a lot more comfortable. Reviews mention the Hankooks have better wet braking performance also.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
28 Posts
Hey guys,

If you want optimum performance stay stock size wheel....if you just want flash & cutness do 22inch BUT lightweight but make sure the wheel can handle power of truck...you'll be restricted to only straight line aggressive power....but stock youll have the luxury of full benefits of the jeep capability

·
Registered
182 Posts
Each to its own, but I don't see how 22s are better than 20s in any shape or form. 22s do look more appealing and that's pretty much it. Since TH is AWD, grip shouldn't be an issue on 22s or 20s as long as you have good tires and even than I know people who have chinese tires and work very well, but they don't last long, but who cares since they're cheap and you can buy 3 sets compare to one expensive set.

All in all, having 22s has more disadvantages than advantages. More weight to turn, low profile tires are more prone to potholes, harsher ride...... better than with Pirelli, but worst than anything else with original size tires and 20s. Not like worst that you yourself will significantly notice it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Each to its own, but I don't see how 22s are better than 20s in any shape or form. 22s do look more appealing and that's pretty much it. Since TH is AWD, grip shouldn't be an issue on 22s or 20s as long as you have good tires and even than I know people who have chinese tires and work very well, but they don't last long, but who cares since they're cheap and you can buy 3 sets compare to one expensive set.

All in all, having 22s has more disadvantages than advantages. More weight to turn, low profile tires are more prone to potholes, harsher ride...... better than with Pirelli, but worst than anything else with original size tires and 20s. Not like worst that you yourself will significantly notice it.
If you lived in Massachusetts I’d let you take my truck for a rip. You would be surprised at the ride quality, it’s not at all what you think. Unless you have driven one with a 22” set up it is really hard to make a comment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you lived in Massachusetts I’d let you take my truck for a rip. You would be surprised at the ride quality, it’s not at all what you think. Unless you have driven one with a 22” set up it is really hard to make a comment.
I'm a skinny dude :ROFLMAO:, I feel every little difference and bump. Out of curiosity what was your reason for changing to 22s?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a skinny dude :ROFLMAO:, I feel every little difference and bump. Out of curiosity what was your reason for changing to 22s?
The look. I think the 20’s look too small. Especially if you lower with eibachs or whatever they don’t fill the wheel well enough. Again my opinion , regardless we all have awesome vehicles any way you look at it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts