Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread on another topic (I think it is "did you buy a trailer hitch") where a couple of you guys posted your experiences of towing with a TH.

I tow a variety of muscle cars on a 22-foot Featherlite open trailer (so approx 5000-6000 pounds total in towed weight) and have been considering using my TH for that every once in a while, instead of my Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab.

So...a guestion for all of you: Who's towing, what are you towing, and what has been your experience?

I usually prefer a longer wheelbase vehicle than than a TH for towing, and am concerned about "the tail wagging the dog" feeling when on a twisty road, or in a crosswind, or when braking hard, etc.

Please share your tales of TH towing. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone please give me the Mopar part number for the Trackhawk "Tow bar kit" and confirm whether or not it is the same as the 2018 SRT Tow bar kit as I am struggling to find one here in Australia.

·
Registered
212 Posts
https://www.airbaggedtrailers.com/

I have one of these being custom build for me right now... It will have a full aluminum tread deck.... with the tie down deck incorporated... Full air ride suspension... so i can drop it and pull my z06 right on...

This will be my first time pulling something with it so i am nervous.... But we gotta live right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if this helps as it's quite a bit less weight than what you're towing - but I've already towed my 19' enclosed V-nose snowmobile trailer with one sled in it over 100 miles in the heat and it was like it wasn't there, except for the gas mileage. Trailer weighs 2600lb with all the tools and gear, sled is another 700 or so all gassed up. I'll be towing 2 sleds in the Winter for long distances and don't anticipate any issues - it towed this small trailer like a dream.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've towed with mine quite a bit. Other than ensuring the load is well balanced, I had no issues. I could run 85+ with the Camaro hanging out back. I'm over 6k with the trailer and car onboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking tow rig!
Did you have to do anything to the TH, such as shocks...to handle the tongue weight?
On my typical setup (with my truck) it's about 650 pounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bone stock. Just played around with where to position the car on the trailer to shoot for a slightly front-end loaded trailer but not go too far. Tow mode does seem to have an effect on how the TH handles the trailer, the shift points are altered and they say the rear shocks firm up.

I threw in the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. I installed it just like their reference Jeep install video and the controller adjustment knob is in a great location for use on the fly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bone stock. Just played around with where to position the car on the trailer to shoot for a slightly front-end loaded trailer but not go too far. Tow mode does seem to have an effect on how the TH handles the trailer, the shift points are altered and they say the rear shocks firm up.

I threw in the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. I installed it just like their reference Jeep install video and the controller adjustment knob is in a great location for use on the fly.
That’s awesome. Does the Trackhawk come with a built in brake controller already. I understand you have more flexibility by turning the knob and adjusting the trailer brakes but I wasn’t sure if there was one built into the Trackhawk?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That’s awesome. Does the Trackhawk come with a built in brake controller already. I understand you have more flexibility by turning the knob and adjusting the trailer brakes but I wasn’t sure if there was one built into the Trackhawk?
Nope. It's prewired if you got the tow package, but you'll need to get a controller and wire it in - mine took all of 20 mins and I soldered and shrink wrapped the included connector to the controller's wires. there are plugs-and-play kits for the GC as well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info, guys, thanks!

Where did you mount the controller?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I followed the demonstration install on etrailers site for the controller and mounted it under the center console. The whole thing took less than an hour.

I can't post the direct link to the etrailers site due to lack of posts apparently so you are on your own with the google to find it.

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
https://www.airbaggedtrailers.com/

I have one of these being custom build for me right now... It will have a full aluminum tread deck.... with the tie down deck incorporated... Full air ride suspension... so i can drop it and pull my z06 right on...

This will be my first time pulling something with it so i am nervous.... But we gotta live right?
damnn you! I just bought a trailer I thought was cool. you just made me put mine up for sale so I can get one of these. this is so bad ass and perfect for all my cars (old Impalas)
even though you made me spend 20K seriously thanks for the link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am planning to tow my 28ft Airstream which is at the upper end of the tow rating of the TH. Up till now I towed with a Yukon Denali but I wanted something sportier and smaller. I looked at the Durango SRT but couldn't resist the 707HP of the TH. Remains to be seen how it tows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts