Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for some guidance on changing up to a a taller aspect ratio (50 or 55 series). My work involves a high degree of running temporary dirt roads on construction sites, and I would benefit from setting up another wheel/tire combo for the condition. It appears most of the A/T tires desirable to mount in 285 or 295 widths have 50 to 55 heights. Does anyone know if I'm likely to have fitment, or rubbing issues? Much appreciated

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would be surprised if anyone here put A/T’s on but let’s see who else responds!

While you wait, three thoughts. First, of the available options the Yokohama Geolander 285/50 R20 is a solid tire and is only 0.8 inches larger in diameter than the factory setup. That is only 0.4 inches closer to any tight spot in the wheel well. Second, and keep in mind that my daily driver has mud terrain tires on it, going from an all season to an all terrain will really change the braking, cornering, and acceleration for the worse on tarmac. Now, with that said if you spend a lot of time on the diet every day, and especially if the roads are rutted, while some people might recommend a Trailhawk, I say go for it with that Trackhawk - life is too short. And I want to see a picture or video of you bombing down a fire road :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greatly appreciate your input the A/T setup. I am cringing at the thought of the downgrade in braking, and cornering which are reasons to buy a Trackhawk. I set up a Cayenne Turbo with A/T's and was also very perceptible performance change. Planning on mounting as a separate setup from stock rims as too swap out for "Fun" days.

Given the vehicle height, and only 0.4" closer to tight spots sounds like 50's may work.

Much appreciated

Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Greatly appreciate your input the A/T setup. I am cringing at the thought of the downgrade in braking, and cornering which are reasons to buy a Trackhawk. I set up a Cayenne Turbo with A/T's and was also very perceptible performance change. Planning on mounting as a separate setup from stock rims as too swap out for "Fun" days.

Given the vehicle height, and only 0.4" closer to tight spots sounds like 50's may work.

Much appreciated

Paul
I wonder is a 31" toyo MT tire will fit? that would be your best look and the tires are very good also. put a big push bar in the front and camo wrap it. assault vehicle style.
hum either way I too am interested in what you come up with. post pic when your done.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I ran a 285/50/20 Blizzak V2 tire this winter.
It fit and only rubbed full lock, but I am
also lowered on eibach springs.

That said, braking distance was certainly an eye opening experience. It was increased dramatically at full speed end of drag run type speeds. Normal every day, no issues. Panic stop from 60+, you’ll need extra room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the real world R&D experience you had with the 50's on your Trackhawk. Any approximation of how much your front well lowered from stock with the eibachs? Also, your Trackhawk Red looks great! Thanks again for the input Mike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike

Selection process for finding an All Terrain fitment on the TH has been tumultuous. Near nothing in 45 series AT available, or not worth mounting. I found a Cooper tire that's a bit wider than stock in 50 series, and looks like it leans on being more bias to street with some All Terrain features. They're 305/50 R20's, and thinking of mounting on stock rim size. The pluses are they are geared a little more to street, and added width may assist in giving a bit more surface contact area that would be lost from moving from the stock tire to more open/aggressive All Terrain tread design. The negatives are probably a higher probability that I may be rubbing, and not sure if 305's are going to stick out beyond fender. Don't feel like watching water spray flying up going down the road. Tire link is below. If you have any thoughts please let me know. Much appreciated.

us.coopertire.com/tires/cooper-zeon-ltz.aspx

Thanks Again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts