Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I am a Corvette guy who owned a 2015 JGCSRT and should never have moved on from it. Now I am looking at Trackhawk. Has anybody ever been successful getting red calipers on their Trackhawk? I understand they are making a distinction, but I would love a choice. Even Corvette is now offering color choices on ZR1 rather than the traditional ZR1 blue.

It’s such a concern for me that I might go with another SRT instead.

I know I can paint them but that’s too much of a PITA.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am new to this forum. I am a Corvette guy who owned a 2015 JGCSRT and should never have moved on from it. Now I am looking at Trackhawk. Has anybody ever been successful getting red calipers on their Trackhawk? I understand they are making a distinction, but I would love a choice. Even Corvette is now offering color choices on ZR1 rather than the traditional ZR1 blue.

It’s such a concern for me that I might go with another SRT instead.

I know I can paint them but that’s too much of a PITA.
You’re going to downgrade to an SRT just for the color of brake calipers?!? That could be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Just paint them. Or...enjoy your red caliper SRT while a yellow caliper Trackhawk is running laps around you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You’re going to downgrade to an SRT just for the color of brake calipers?!? That could be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Just paint them. Or...enjoy your red caliper SRT while a yellow caliper Trackhawk is running laps around you.
I understand the OP's concerned, I don't like the Yellow Calipers either (so far). But after driving it a few hundred miles they turn gray. (Brake dust) :grin2: But the yellow comes back with a good cleaning. Actually I'm thinking about painting mine black. Maybe the brake dust wouldn't show so bad. (I already have black wheels)

I may paint mine at some point, but I haven't decided yet. It should be a quick job if I do it. Not an issue at all IMO and it would have never been a consideration in driving me to buy a different vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Trackhawk is just an SRT with a supercharger. For me, if I can get exactly what I want in an SRT and save $20G, I may go that route. I am certainly very interested in Trackhawk but I am not a hard core track guy, so the difference in track numbers is not a factor. And the 0-60 times are virtually the same. Both cars can execute passing and other traffic maneuvers as fast as I would ever want. Dealer allocation will ultimately be the key.

I came out here to pick the brains of those who are farther ahead of me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife drives a 2017 SRT and I just bought a TH. I too hate the yellow (sorry no other factory option) and felt the same way you did until I did a little reading up on the differences and DROVE a TH.

As for “it is an SRT with a Supercharger” I would suggest reading an article about the slight differences in the engines. The drivetrain enhancements would also be worth reading?

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/hellcat-hemi-chief-engineer-provides-engine-details/

Either way you end up with a great ride.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A Trackhawk is a far superior vehicle to an SRT, and a far better value as well. Plus it comes with an invaluable warranty, which an SRT built to mimick a Trackhawk does not. It should be an easy decision unless the additional dollars are the main hang up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A Trackhawk is just an SRT with a supercharger. For me, if I can get exactly what I want in an SRT and save $20G, I may go that route. I am certainly very interested in Trackhawk but I am not a hard core track guy, so the difference in track numbers is not a factor. And the 0-60 times are virtually the same. Both cars can execute passing and other traffic maneuvers as fast as I would ever want. Dealer allocation will ultimately be the key.

I came out here to pick the brains of those who are farther ahead of me.
Well, SRT's are great vehicles, I know, I had two. I've also had numerous Corvettes, (C4, C5 and a C6) and a couple of other HP cars in the past 20 years or so. Loved them all but nothing runs like the TH. In my experience, the top performance on every vehicle I've ever owned wasn't achieved until I had over well 10k+ miles on it, so I won't know for a while what the TH is really capable of. So far, I've only made one full 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile run with the TH and that was done in less than perfect conditions and it easily beat the best numbers, that I got under perfect conditions, in either of my SRT's or any of my Vettes for that matter. (all were 100% stock) I expect those number will only get better after I get the beast fully broken in and run it it perfect conditions too.

I'm not a hard core track guy either, I don't particularly like the piss yellow calipers, and the same with my SRT's, I really don't like the P Zero Pirelli's or the insane amount of brake dust the cars make but that is the end of my don't like list for the TH. (And these few issues can be easily corrected)

I've noticed a few things that are different between my TH and the SRT's I had, other than the minor cosmetic changes. The TH suspension is firmer, the engine/exhaust sound is very much different and the engine power/performance/responsiveness is nothing short of awesome, especially for a fully loaded, roomy and comfortable luxury vehicle that only cost ~100k and comes with a 60k mile powertrain warranty. You are going to have to spend 100k+ more to match that and even more to beat it, IMO. (I know I must sound like a TH salesman :) ) FCA, feel free to send me lots of money for the support!

I'll add that I never had to take any of my GC's to the shop for any repairs, although they all had a few recalls. Wash it, change the oil, add gas, and go and go and go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe you could downgrade the entire brake setup to get SRT color?

I'm still waiting on the factory. I don't like the yellow calipers but I don't know if I will paint them either. I hate to taint the vehicle I may well otherwise leave stock, at least for a good while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In digging further everything brakes on TH is bigger than on SRT. I supposed I could order calipers from Brembo and swap them out, although I have seen where you can't get a certain item because inventory is restricted at the time to new car production.

Still waiting on my dealer as to whether they have allocation for either TH or SRT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, SRT's are great vehicles, I know, I had two. I've also had numerous Corvettes, (C4, C5 and a C6) and a couple of other HP cars in the past 20 years or so. Loved them all but nothing runs like the TH. In my experience, the top performance on every vehicle I've ever owned wasn't achieved until I had over well 10k+ miles on it, so I won't know for a while what the TH is really capable of. So far, I've only made one full 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile run with the TH and that was done in less than perfect conditions and it easily beat the best numbers, that I got under perfect conditions, in either of my SRT's or any of my Vettes for that matter. (all were 100% stock) I expect those number will only get better after I get the beast fully broken in and run it it perfect conditions too.

I'm not a hard core track guy either, I don't particularly like the piss yellow calipers, and the same with my SRT's, I really don't like the P Zero Pirelli's or the insane amount of brake dust the cars make but that is the end of my don't like list for the TH. (And these few issues can be easily corrected)

I've noticed a few things that are different between my TH and the SRT's I had, other than the minor cosmetic changes. The TH suspension is firmer, the engine/exhaust sound is very much different and the engine power/performance/responsiveness is nothing short of awesome, especially for a fully loaded, roomy and comfortable luxury vehicle that only cost ~100k and comes with a 60k mile powertrain warranty. You are going to have to spend 100k+ more to match that and even more to beat it, IMO. (I know I must sound like a TH salesman :) ) FCA, feel free to send me lots of money for the support!

I'll add that I never had to take any of my GC's to the shop for any repairs, although they all had a few recalls. Wash it, change the oil, add gas, and go and go and go.
I appreciate the feedback.

I have owned Cadillac CTSVs and currently own a 15 Z06 and a 13 ZR1. Maybe I will hold out for the TH.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I appreciate the feedback.

I have owned Cadillac CTSVs and currently own a 15 Z06 and a 13 ZR1. Maybe I will hold out for the TH.
Trust me, if you can really test drive (by punching it) a SRT and then a TH, you will have zero doubt which to buy if you are looking for higher performance. There's nothing wrong with an SRT, they are awesome but nothing like the TH.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been nosing around the Demon build site. By chance does anybody know if those calipers are same as the ones on TH?

Cuz they are RED.😜😜

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trust me, if you can really test drive (by punching it) a SRT and then a TH, you will have zero doubt which to buy if you are looking for higher performance. There's nothing wrong with an SRT, they are awesome but nothing like the TH.
Thx for your thought.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope. The TH brakes are the largest they have put on a production vehicle (400mm in the front - 15.75in). They are huge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope. The TH brakes are the largest they have put on a production vehicle (400mm in the front - 15.75in). They are huge.
Thanks for the info. Perhaps red calipers of that size can be obtained from Brembo. I will see what I can find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an SRT with a supercharger?

How can you consider yourself a ' car guy' ( I have owned a blah, blah, blah) and write such a mis-informed lazy ass statement??

I had a 2006 AND then a 2012 SRT. Put 75K miles on both, so to say I know a little about SRT's would be understatement.

About 3 weeks ago, I picked up the TH that I ordered after doing my due diligence and knowing EXACTLY the differences where before ordering.

Forget the visible subtle differences and consider the countless drivetrain items had to be engineered/ beefed up on this amazing machine to handle that torque!

No, sir....This is definitely NOT just an SRT with a supercharger. Do your homework. Google/ You tube...its really easy to do!!

Why should I care? Go ahead and buy another SRT because of the color of the calipers. You freakin' kidding me?

I will happily enjoy that growl starting up this BEAST every time along with unforgettable "Braaat" between hard upshifts that are enough to care less if the calipers are friggin' Purple with Pink polka dots~

Still grinning....

·
Registered
361 Posts
So how do you really feel about the difference between a WK2SRT and TH....>:) rhetorical question

Yes, they are very definitely different vehicles. If it were not for the little bit of badging and yellow calipers, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, until the TH driver puts his (or hers) foot in it, then there is no doubt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an SRT with a supercharger?

How can you consider yourself a ' car guy' ( I have owned a blah, blah, blah) and write such a mis-informed lazy ass statement??

I had a 2006 AND then a 2012 SRT. Put 75K miles on both, so to say I know a little about SRT's would be understatement.

About 3 weeks ago, I picked up the TH that I ordered after doing my due diligence and knowing EXACTLY the differences where before ordering.

Forget the visible subtle differences and consider the countless drivetrain items had to be engineered/ beefed up on this amazing machine to handle that torque!

No, sir....This is definitely NOT just an SRT with a supercharger. Do your homework. Google/ You tube...its really easy to do!!

Why should I care? Go ahead and buy another SRT because of the color of the calipers. You freakin' kidding me?

I will happily enjoy that growl starting up this BEAST every time along with unforgettable "Braaat" between hard upshifts that are enough to care less if the calipers are friggin' Purple with Pink polka dots~

Still grinning....
Good for you, brother. Glad you are enjoying your car and getting so into it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts